Temple Lodge & Spa is situated in Ireland’s Ancient East, offering our guests a great opportunity to explore the local countryside.
Irelands Midlands are mostly often forgotten or overlooked on the dash to West Coast or indeed Dublin on the East Coast,yet this gloriours multi-coloured rolling landscape of drumlins, eskers, lakes & bogs has much to offer the visitor prepared to break his journey.
Only over an hour from Dublin or Galway, it has everything (except the sea) as they say themselves. It is quiet & peaceful & there are so many things to do & see that you will be spoiled for choice.
You could break your journey & spend a night or just stopp off for lunch, to explore a little bit futher into the midlands in what really is an under estimated & undiscovered part of Ireland......
For example, did you know that the lakeside picnic spot of Liliput on Lough Ennell is where Dean Jonathon Swift got the inspiration to write 'Gullivers Travels' while watching the 'little people' on the far shore at Belvedere House with its bizzare history & jealous wall, or Tullynally Castle a victorian pile with more fairtytale turrets than you could shake your wand at & wild romantic gardens,Charleville Castle near Tullamore is considered to have the finest Gothic interiors in Ireland. Although the jewel in the Midlands crown is probaly Birr Castle where the 3rd Earl of Rosse built the largest telescope in the world in 1840. Going Back further in time we have the fabled Loughcrew burial mounds & passage graves which predate the monastic settlements of Clonmacnoise on the river Shannon, with its round towers & high crosses...
The Hill Uiscneach, the other Tara was an ancient celtic site in the centre of Irelands Midlands dedicated to Lugh a pagan God, & father of Cuculainn a huge character with mystical powers in Irish folklore.
Another 'revered' spot is Lockes Distillery in Kilbeggan which is reputed to be the oldest in the World? Where you can enjoy free tastings, thankfully there's no shortage of either Whiskey or Heritage Centres, there is another one in Tullamore which tell the history of Tullamore Dew & Irish Mist
10 Things to do & See in Irelands Midlands...
- Clonmacnoise ancient monastic settlement on the banks of the river Shannon, ruined churches, high crosses & round towers.
- Lockes Distillery reputedly the oldest in the World. The real deal, it even smells right, free tastings. Kilbeggan Co.Westmeath
- Belvedre House & Gardens peculiar history, beautiful grounds & lakeside walks, walled garden & exhibition centre.
- Tullynally Castle & Gardens gothic splendour, fairtytale turrets & romantic gardens.
- Charleville Castle fascinating castle open for private tours, in the middle of one of the last surviving oak woods of Ireland near Tullamore.
- Birr Castle & Gardens very famous Castle & gardens, set t become centre stage of the scientific World once again with new wave monitoring station being set up.
- Lough Boora Parklands you can hire bikes by the hour for €3 at the parking lot, don't miss out! 10 out 10 attraction.
- Bellefield Gardens Angella Jupe one of Ireland's leading garden designers has a beautiful walle garden here.
- Birr Equestrian Centre go pony trekking in the beautiful Slieve Bloom Mountainswith Noel Cosgrove.
- Tullamore Dew Hertiage Centre another opportunity to taste Irisk Whiskey or Irelands original & best loved Irish Mist.